Thursday, March 27, 2014

Factory Supervisor Speaks of Life Changes



Jean Barrosa, a sewing supervisor who used to be called Simang (for simangot, the Filipino word for frown) by workers on the lines she supervised, shared the following story of how the Lord transformed her into a cold-hearted boss into a caring one, at the 22nd annual membership meeting of the Center for Community Transformation Group of Ministries in March 2014.  To read Jean’s testimony in Filipino, click HERE.


Good evening everyone! It is an honor to be chosen to stand before you to share changes that have happened in me since I accepted the Lord Jesus into my life.

My name is Jean S. Barrosa, a sewing supervisor for the Covenant Community Service Cooperative in Dasmarinas, Cavite. I am 49 years old and have been married for 21 years.  The Lord has blessed me and my husband, Marlon, with two children.

I was born into a poor family so I studied hard, hoping to someday help my family rise above poverty.  However, I was unable to finish college, and at 19 I began to work in a garment factory. I became connected with several garment companies before joining Hoffen Industries as a sewing supervisor.

 I strove to do well at my job and to love it. I became obsessed with my position to the point of being unaware that my conduct was getting out of hand.  I was criticized for being cold-hearted and was called a lot of names behind my back such as ‘Dragon’ or  ‘Tigress’.  I was even called, 'Simang', for  simangot, the Filipino word for frown, because I was never seen smiling. 

I was never considerate toward colleagues. I fiercely defended what I was doing if I knew it was right because I yearned to change the course of my life.

I was earning well but I was still always short on funds. My family had a lot of health problems.  I had to undergo D and C (dilation and curettage) several times until finally my uterus had to be removed. Then at about that same time my husband lost his job. 

I didn’t know how I would survive. I almost lost faith in God and asked him often why this had to happen to a hardworking person like me. I asked even more questions when Hoffen Industries closed. The separation pay I received was just enough to cover my debts.

Hoffen is owned by a CCT board member. I thank the Lord that the owner decided to open it again under a cooperative setup with the assistance of CCT.  We resumed work under the management of Covenant Community Service Cooperative or CCSC .

CCSC had some strange practices that I could not adopt to at the start. There was this concern for spiritual development. We had to come to work early for morning devotions. I considered it a huge inconvenience that workers were still not yet through praying when the workday should have already begun.  Management committee meetings began to be held every Wednesday and these would take two to three hours. Co-workers found it hard to convince me to attend these meetings. They needed to come fetch me from the production area, especially when I was trying to beat a shipment deadline. I reacted to these changes negatively. But little by little, I began to look forward to the meetings, especially the sharing of the Word of God.

Soon, I invited our Lord Jesus into my heart. I discovered how much I need Him in my life. I have learned about many of His promises. I am quite conservative but now I sing and dance to the Lord. I smile lot more often now than I used to. And above all I'm learning to love and to love my family and colleagues unconditionally. I still am a strict supervisor but no longer heartless. I now feel guilty whenever I yell at one of the staff.

I worry less nowadays and God’s blessings overflow. In less than two years time I purchased a new home in a good subdivision. I invested in two vehicles  that my husband uses in his business, and I moved my children to good schools.

My youngest son has also received the Lord and is graduating this year from a Christian school. My husband has also become a  CCT partner and now attends a Bible study in our area. Hopefully he will also receive Jesus. God is good!

The Lord prepared me too for a trial. Six months ago my eldest child eloped. She was just a college junior.  What she did was just so painful for my family. She has not come home yet but we are in touch.  She promises to come home after giving birth. I am excited about my new role -- one month from now I  will be a grandmother! I pray God will take care of my daughter  and that my husband will be able to accept what happened. He is quite affected because they were very close .

All these changes happened since I asked the Lord Jesus into my life. May I become a blessing to others .

Good evening and God bless you all !






No comments:

Post a Comment